Monday, May 25, 2009

Saluting Our Heros!



Memorial Day is such a special day for all! As Americans, this is a day when we remember those who fought and died for our freedom. So many take for granted the sacrifices that those have made for all Americans. Today, I wanted to pay tribute to one of my Heros--My Granddaddy.

Edward Thomas Crowder, Sr. aka Buddy, was part of the 505th Parachute Infantry, 82nd Airborne Division. He was 25 years old when we began his career in the Army. He left farm life in Newsoms, Virginia and headed to Parachute School at Fort Benning, Georgia where he learned to jump from planes. Who knew that this small town country boy would actually jump from planes! Granddaddy was also injured while jumping in Normandy, France. I can remember him showing us his wounds. He was shot by the enemy and lived to tell about it! He also told us about the time he had to make a jump during the night. He wasn't sure of where he was when he landed. He thought he heard the enemy so he hid behind some hay bails and by light he knew it wasn't the enemy he had heard, but cows. The only time he would ever talk about it was when we asked. I'm sure he saw some pretty bad things.
I am so proud of my Granddaddy for doing what he did, something that I don't think that I could ever do. Because of him, and so many others who fought, we are who we are today--Americans! God Bless America!

No comments: